Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Home Sweet Home

When we left our hometown three years ago, I was devastated...especially because I just knew I was gonna hate this place. I didn't know how I was going to live without my friends and family. Years one and two passed and I chose to stay miserable, closing myself off to everyone, and not really wanting to make new friends or set any roots in this new place. I guess, when we left "home", I essentially thought that my life was over. For some reason, I believed that I already had all of the friends I needed...besides...what was the point of making new friends when your just gonna have to say goodbye to them eventually? All I could think about was the next time I was gonna get to go "home". I really made myself (and my husband) miserable.

Then, this past year, it all changed. I became close to a few people in my MOPS group and my guard against new friends slowly began to lower. I realized that these people were just like me. We shared a lot in common...being moms, and military wives were two huge similarities between us. Although, I still yearned to go "home", I didn't really hate this place so much anymore. Then, in March, I went "back home" for a 3 week visit. At first it was great...I really enjoyed seeing all of my friends and family. But, after a week, I was done. I wanted to leave...I missed my home here.  That's when I discovered, for the first time, that "back home" just wasn't MY home anymore. In fact, it wasn't even a place I got super excited to visit anymore.  I realized, while I was there, that just because I left there, things didn't stop changing....people didn't stop changing. Everything and everyone seemed so different this time. I felt a little depressed, at first, after realizing that I didn't have a place back home anymore....but then it hit me and I realized that I too had changed, and that no matter where we lived, home was where my husband and my three children resided. Like they say..."Home is where the Army sends us"...and it is true. Call it a growing moment if you must.  I feel so free now. Free to make friends, build deep relationships, and set my roots. I have such a long life ahead of me...and I know now that life definitely DID NOT end 3 years ago...in fact, it just began!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment